Monday, March 27, 2006

Do crows face the traffic?

Overheard in a pub: "Crows are clever enough to know to face the traffic when they are scavenging on the hard shoulder" or words to that effect.

I use the motorway pretty well every day so I started to look out for crows on the hard shoulder and it does seem to be true. The pub pundit seemed to think it was because the crows were looking out for traffic but I'm not sure that's right. I think crows have nearly 360 degree vision so they don't need to face something to see it coming, but as you drive past they are nearly always facing back the way you have just come from.


My theory is that the traffic causes local slipstream that ruffles crow feathers if it comes from behind. I imagine that would be quite uncomfortable so is a good reason to face into wind even if that wind is caused by passing traffic.

Are there any other crow watchers out there? I'd love to hear your comments. Another question about bird behaviour is on my bird blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home