Friday, April 07, 2006

Retired!

I woke up this morning and did not have to go to work, just like every Friday this year. The difference this morning was that I will not go to work on Monday or Tuesday or any other day of the week because retirement day has finally arrived.

There are so many things that I want to do, some of them I need to do to stretch my pension further and some of them just because I want to do them. In both cases I will be doing things in my own time and at my own pace. I think that time is life's greatest luxury and one of my hobbies is dealing with the means of measuring the passage of time. Earlier posts show a clock I have made and a clock I am working on.

In this post I am introducing an e-Bay purchase, described by the seller as clockwork, only runs for 15 minutes. I can't complain about his description, which is perfectly accurate as far as it goes. It appears to be a torsion pendulum anniversary clock, manufactured in Germany. I think the maker is Kern & Sohne and it seems to be well made but is in need of a thourough cleaning. A visual inspection reveals streaks of oil on the plates which suggests that someone has over-oiled the pivots and probably gummed things up nicely. I shall have great fun dismantling and cleaning this little clock when I have finished the skeleton clock. Even if I make a mess of it I will learn something and my winning bid was not even in double figures!

Categories: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home