Monday, April 10, 2006

Unexpected progress

On Friday I wrote about a Kern & Sohne anniversary clock I had bought as a 'non-runner'. Well, after taking photos for the blog I had a good look and decided to let down the mainspring to take the load off the pivots in an attempt to detect any excessive play.

First discovery was that the clock winds up anticlockwise. Obvious now I think about it because the winder is at the back of the clock, so winds clockwise when view from the front.

The second discovery was that the spring was almost fully unwound, it only had one turn of tension in it. I did the obvious thing and wound it up fully.

That was at 5pm on Friday and it is still going quite happily. It has lost about five minutes in 48 hours, but there is a regulator mechanism on the rotor so I will try that. Time will tell.

Categories: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home